Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Has It Been That Long?



Seven years ago, today, I moved to Los Angeles and it almost passed without notice except it is also my friend Michael's birthday. In 2005, the drive from San Francisco started early that October morning and, with my little reliable Honda stuffed to the brim, I arrived at my new apartment in time for dinner – vowing to never ever make that trek again.  Save for once when I was a passenger in my friend’s car, I’ve kept that promise.

I’ve had an interesting ride over these past calendar days. Although I can count them on three fingers, I’ve dated (yes, you read that correctly), and some friendships have faded away while some have gotten even stronger. There has been drama and then really high drama, but overall, it’s been a great ride. Finding my niche in this land of make believe hasn’t been easy, but as I said to my boss during the recent NBC Emmy Award Party, “I live for this shit.” 


I suppose the good thing about my anniversary passing so quietly is that there really is no need to celebrate. I’ve been in California for twenty years -mind boggling sometimes when I sit and let myself think about that number. There are relatives on the east coast who only see me as a shadow of a stranger who flies in once a year. People have asked me over the years if I feel as if I’ve missed anything. The answer is simply no. I’ve not missed a second of my life because this is my life, and It took many years for me to realize this, but my life is here. 

I’ll always feel a connection to the east coast. It’s where I grew up and spent my childhood. Where my parents are now the only original inhabitants left on Carney Street, where my high school friends still live, and together we can all be instantly 17 years old again, and most importantly, it’s where my grandmother is in her final resting place - a spot that gives me enormous comfort at each and every visit.

Seven years from now, will I still be in Los Angeles?  No one can predict that, least of all me – but, in a way, we’re all still growing up in the places we find ourselves.  Whatever the time frame, it’s just truly wonderful to find yourself in a place you can call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment